An ABC train is loads of fun! This was one of my first DIY kids projects when we my husband first started traveling. I needed a way to not only keep the kids entertained while I made dinner but also get them to learn something!! A few pieces colorful construction, laminating sheets (for durability) and creativity made this project a breeze. And as an added benefit, when we started traveling as a family, the ABC train came in handy as it was easy to pack in a carry-on for long plane rides or road trips. Its a win-win!
To make it, cut out 26 wheels (they can be any color) and label them with the ABCs. Next cut out the boxcars and add 3 letters per boxcar (or 1 or 2-its up to you!). As for the locomotive (or engine), I drew it by hand; there are lots of free locomotive printables online if free hand drawing is not your thing. Laminate all you pieces and voila!
Surviving Chaos Tips
- Let the kids help cut out the all the pieces; keeps them busy for while and helps their scissor skills
- Change the letters to numbers
- Use sight words on the boxcars instead of letters. This is perfect for kiddos learning how to spell!
- These also make great letter recognition flash cards
- Put it in zip loc bag: it keeps the pieces together, an added layer of protection from spills and it’s TSA friendly