Here’s a fresh take on pulled pork sandwich….pulled chicken! This recipe is to make and doesn’t take all day to cook in your Crock-pot. With leaner cuts of meat, this meal is healthier and lighter that your traditional pulled BBQ sandwich. And its freezer friendly which helps for late weeknight dinners after all the kids activities.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Let’s Make It
- Mix together paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture all over chicken pieces
- Put chicken in slow cooker
- Pour 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours
- At the end of 5 hours, change slow cooker to warm setting and remove chicken and place in bowl.
- Leave liquid in slow cooker but remove any fat on top of liquid.
- Allow chicken to cool and then shred chicken.
- Heat remaining cup of BBQ sauce in small saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Pour hot BBQ sauce over chicken in bowl then toss.
- Transfer chicken mixture into warm slow cooker
- Serve chicken on whole wheat buns
- Freeze: Make extra or freeze left overs for quick and easy weeknight dinners
- Frozen chicken last up to 2 months in the freeze
- Thaw chicken in refrigerator
- Toppings: Add onions, lettuce or cheese to you BBQ pulled chicken sandwich
- More Meals: Use leftover chicken in quesadillas, soups, salads, etc.
Want more recipes delivered to your inbox?