This is one our kids favorite meals!!! It is quick, easy and takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. The great thing about this recipe is its easy to customize. Like a little spice? Add some red pepper flakes to the mixture. Want some sweetness? Add some shredded coconut. And its easy to pair with your kids favorite veggie. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!!
- 1 lb large or extra large peeled and de-veined shrimp (tail off)
- 1 cup of cormeal (2 cups if you have 2 lbs of shrimp)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- With a sharp knife butterfly the shrimp cutting almost in half lengthwise, but not all the way through.
- In a bowl mix the flour cornmeal, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large sauce pan or deep fryer to 360 degrees. About 4 inches of oil.
- Rinse shrimp in water then dip and coat in beaten egg.
- Add shrimp to the corn meal mixture and coat each shrimp thoroughly.
- Fry shrimp in batches. Do not over crowd pan.
- Cook for about 4 minutes or until golden.
- If shrimp browns too quickly, reduce the heat.
- Serve with tartar or cocktail sauce.